Best Desktop for Music Production?

63 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What's the best desktop, non Mac, for producing music. My laptop lags when I try and make music so I was thinking of getting a new computer. And what are some specs to look at while looking for a fast, durable computer? Thanks in advance.

Posted · Report post

Start off by going to "My Computer" then "WINDOWS" then "system32" and delete that file to check how much RAM you have.

But in all seriousness, I have a pretty basic desktop and FL10 runs fine. I don't think there's very specific specs required.

Posted · Report post

Start off by going to "My Computer" then "WINDOWS" then "system32" and delete that file to check how much RAM you have.

*tries so hard to hold in laughter*

Posted · Report post

Yeah, that.

Posted · Report post

What's the best desktop, non Mac, for producing music. My laptop lags when I try and make music so I was thinking of getting a new computer. And what are some specs to look at while looking for a fast, durable computer? Thanks in advance.

You don't really need a great computer to produce, assemble it yourself, or go to a store where they'll assemble it for you,but pick the parts yourself, don't buy an assembled PC, The only assemble PC's worth buying are Macs, Alienwares, Origins and a few more gaming rigs, but those are expensive as fuck.

Posted · Report post

I have an Alienware.

Shits ok for that.

Posted · Report post

You don't really need a great computer to produce, assemble it yourself, or go to a store where they'll assemble it for you,but pick the parts yourself, don't buy an assembled PC, The only assemble PC's worth buying are Macs, Alienwares, Origins and a few more gaming rigs, but those are expensive as fuck.

I mean I know it's not necessary and it's not just my music programs that run slow. It's the computer overall, but I guess I'll just do this. Seems like it's the best thing to do.

Posted · Report post

When it comes to producing/making music Desktop > Laptop unless you have a mac, those things are perfect for making music.

Posted · Report post

Steps to make your laptop produce music faster:

1- Boil water for 10 minutes

2- put laptop in it

3- wait 40 minutes

4- get sledge hammer

5- hit laptop several times

6- drive on highway

7- throw laptop out of car

8- should work like a charm

Posted · Report post

I would upgrade your RAM and get a better sound card. RAM is like $40 and sound cards are a bit more.

Posted · Report post

Get a custom PC on the cheap, hack it for Mac OS X

Posted · Report post

But in all seriousness, I have a pretty basic desktop and FL10 runs fine. I don't think there's very specific specs required.

This. I make my beats with FL10 on a cheap-ish laptop. I have an external soundcard, but my ram/memory is nothing to brag about. Just mix your beats in a separate project file to the one you make them in, (which you should probably be doing anyway) or even break it up into 3 different files, Drums, Other Shit, And Mix.