OddFutureTalk has rules against posting personal attacks. We have learned that there exists a broad range of opinion about what constitutes a personal attack. It is our opinion that any negative comment about another member of this message board is a personal attack, and such comments should not be posted on our message board. In practice, however, not all personal attacks get removed by the moderators. If there is a specific example of rule-breaking that you feel should be dealt with, PM a moderator with a link to the post in question or use the report button to report the post immediately.
Occasionally mistakes are made, as the moderators are human. If a member feels that a moderator has acted inappropriately, that member should send an PM to any Administrator or Moderator.In an effort to standardize the enforcement of our personal attacks rules, and to increase understanding among our members, here are some guidelines relating to our personal attacks rules.
Types of Personal Attacks:
There are various forms of personal attacks, here are some examples:
Saying bad things about another member. For example: "You are an idiot."
Hurling insults at another member. For example: "Fuck you, bitch"
What are Personal Attacks? What is not a Personal Attack?
When are Personal Attacks okay?
- If The attack is against a member of this message board, rather than a public figure. If you attack another member of Odd Future Talk, your post will be removed and you will be warned. However, we do not remove attacks against public figures, such as politicians, entertainers, or other prominent individuals.
- The attack is against an individual, rather than a group. If an attack is against an individual member of this message board, then it will be removed. However, if someone posts an attack against a very generalized, non-discrete group of people it is not considered a personal attack for enforcement purposes.
- The attack is directed at a person, rather than at an idea. If an attack is against an idea, then it will be allowed to stay. For example, it is permissible to say that an idea is "stupid" but it is not permissible to say that an individual member of this message board is "stupid".
- The attack is clearly intended to smear, insult, or otherwise attack. If an attack is obviously intended to be malicious, then it will be removed. In practice, however, not all attacks are clear-cut. If a member makes a relatively harmless assertion about another member that is based on fact and not necessarily negative, it will generally be allowed to stay. For example, a user would be allowed to post "you frequently make negative comments about X" This is a reasonable conclusion to draw about someone's activity on this message board, and it isn't necessarily a negative personal characteristic. However, if someone says "you are a liar" or "you frequently tell lies," then that would be crossing the line into attacking because the comment asserts a negative personal characteristic.
- The attack is direct, rather than inferred by the listener. For example, if someone says "that is a stupid idea," that is not considered to be a personal attack. Often, in cases like this, people will infer that the speaker is calling the other person "stupid" even though the comment is narrowly targeted to the idea. We will not consider such inferred attacks to be prohibited personal attacks. Occasionally, however, an attack is so obvious and mean-spirited that we will nonetheless assume that it was intended as a personal insult by the author and remove the post.
Our goal is to provide a forum where fans can discuss OFWGKTA and other topics of interest in an atmosphere of mutual respect. While we know that we can never be 100% successful, we are committed to doing whatever we can, within reason, to make this goal a reality.
Hopefully these guidelines will help our moderators enforce personal attack rule more fairly and evenly. Our intent is not to give a "green light" behavior that is not specifically outlawed. We hope that all of our members will make an effort to participate on our message board in a civil and productive manner. Please be aware that members who choose to repeatedly engage in inappropriate behavior will be banned for disrupting the message board.